Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ox in the mire

Sunday turned out to be kind of a strange day. Getting ready for church in the morning, I heard this big bang against our window. When I looked out on the deck to see what had just hit our window, there was this ginormous owl sitting on our deck. It was mostly white in color and looked like either a barn owl or a long-eared owl. It sat there for a moment while I was scrambling to get the camera out, then when I was ready it flew away. You know when you have an owl fly into your window it has a chance to be an odd day. Well after church I walked downstairs and stepped into a puddle at the bottom. My first thought was that Ty had relieved himself on the carpet. I started looking around and opened the furnace room door and discovered water everywhere. Turns out a sensor on our water heater had gone out and the pressure release valve on the side had spewed water all over. I kept looking and found that it had seeped under the walls in the basement and flooded a storage closet, as well as some other carpeted areas. So now we officially had an Ox in the mire. We spent a good part of the rest of the day vacuuming up water, etc. Tracey's grandparents loaned us some fans and Mom and Dad brought over some space heaters so we just have to wait for it to dry now. Experiences like this help you appreciate when everything is going good a little more. So next time an owl flies into your house, you may want to go check the basement!














2 comments:

Cindy said...

I thought of you today as I stepped in the puddle Ben left on his carpet.
Too bad it didn't happen before church, you could have stayed home (just joking Mom).

Anonymous said...

"All's well that ends well," so they say, or "it's all water under the bridge"--make that water under the walls. What a mess. Now your house is officially broken in.