Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Stuck in the mud


Do you ever have one of those days where you feel like a complete failure in about every aspect of your life? Tuesdays has for a long time been my day to be Dad and get a taste of what mother's go through every day. Tracey works on Tuesday so that is my time to get a feel for that. I've been grateful for the opportunity because it has given me a greater appreciation for just how hard that can be to keep everything together. Between meals and cleaning up and running errands, etc. you mothers have a hard job. We've only got two kids, I can't imagine having four or more to keep track of. Most Tuesdays seem to go well enough but this one just seemed to get worse as the day went on. I felt like that time I was stuck in the mud (remember Mom) and the harder you try to get out the more stuck you get. After getting the kids ready we had some errands to run and I walk out of the house into the garage to get into the truck. Well it was about then that I realized I didn't have my keys. Sure enough I had locked the door on the way out, so now we were stuck in the garage with no way in. After cursing my bad luck for a while, we took the 4-wheeler over to Terry and Ronda's and borrowed their car. We rode up to the pharmacy and got Tracey's key and drove back home (an hour round trip). The day got progressively worse (or maybe it was just my mood) as we finished the errands and returned home. It seemed like I had been getting after the kids all day for fighting or not listening, etc. Next thing I know Tristyn comes running in the room balling because Ty has hit her with something. My patience was more than worn at this point, and I couldn't help but feel a little discouraged about the events of the day. It was a short time later that I caght Ty and Tristyn cuddling on the couch and acting like they love each other. This was like seeing my Mom coming to pull me out of the mud, like maybe my parenting isn't a complete failure. It made me once again appreciate all the hard work you mothers go to. Thank you Tracey, I know my one day a week doesn't hold a lot of weight compared to all the time you spend, but I do appreciate all you do. Thank you Mom for all the work you went to in raising all five of us, I don't know how you did it, but I know you did a great job. I'm so thankful to be a Dad, and thankful to all the mothers out there that are an inspiration to me. (;

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Tom, you're a great dad. I have those moments at least once a day. It says a lot that you're able to recognize it and express appreciation for your wife and other women. You're not only a great dad, but a great brother, son, and husband (I can't say for sure about the husband part, but I'm pretty sure).
Anyway, you're doing a great job. Love ya.